(4-week storytelling/public speaking workshop)
In support of Speaking and Listening academic standards, “Narrative Rising” will serve as a cooperative campus movement to develop a broad range of written and oral communication skills using narrative storytelling, helping students to master the ability to adapt language to a variety of contexts and purposes. This objective will be fulfilled in three ways:
1. A weekly narrative storytelling workshop called the “Narrative Rising” (9-12 grade), or an after-school program for younger students (5-8 grade), in which students will listen to biographical stories and practice storytelling strategies.
2. Develop stories from their own lives.
3. Participate in the “From The Mouths of Our Future” story-slam to showcase exceptional storytellers, poets and debaters.
(one-day workshops promoting self-discipline, self-care and
Unshackled Publishing publishes fiction which appeals to reluctant reading teens/pre-teens. Utilizing the character situations from UP novels, I will facilitate workshops, youth talk-backs and retreats to engage teen audiences on the primary theme “Your present choices have a future.” Candid without being didactic, I motivate young people to do three things:
1. to love reading and writing stories that reflect their realities;
2. to understand and then practice empathy towards those who are experiencing a different reality;
3. to be “faithful to their futures” (a Franciscan quote)
Sample workshops for "Esteem Rising":
“Imagination: The Beginning of Creation” (Ages 10-18)
BOOK: 29 Years For 13 Seconds: The Injustices of Justice
“Dating Strong, Dating Wrong” (Ages 13-18)
BOOK: Premature Pleasures
“Love Doesn’t Hurt” (Ages 13-18)
BOOK: Backseats and Bleachers: A High School Love Story
“Shame, Shackles, Silence” (Ages 13-18)
BOOK: Secret Shame
“WARNING: Freshmen Girls Entering College...” (Ages 15-18)
BOOK: Cover The Coo